Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is escitalopram and clonazepam safe for long term use?

Is escitalopram and clonazepam safe for long term use?

Q: I am a 26 years old man, facing mild panic and anxiety for the last couple of years. During this period, my doctor prescribed various medicines ranging from Trika 0.25 mg, Stalopam, Zicam, etc. (basically all escitalopram and clonazepma) tablets. I want to know whether the medicines that I have taken over the couple of years would harm my sexual life in future? Also, is there a solution to the above problem other than drugs, which I want to stop at the earliest since my parents have advised that I have become habitual to it?

A:Escitalopram can have sexual side effects - however, the sexual side-effects get better once you are off the medication - in some cases even if you decrease the dose. In any case you need to balance between the between benefit versus side effects. As far as the issue of dependency is concerned, you could get dependent on clonazepam but usually not to escitalopram. In general, escitalopram and clonazepam is a good combination for panic disorder. There are treatment modalities other than medications that are known to be effective, particularly a type of therapy known as cognitive behavioural therapy. If you have a trained therapist who can do this kind of therapy, it might be beneficial for you in long term and it is possible that you could go off medication.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.