Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » I had diabetes during my pregnancy, will I get diabetes in future?

I had diabetes during my pregnancy, will I get diabetes in future?

Q: I developed diabetes during the eighth month of pregnancy. It was brought under control due to diet. After one month of delivery I checked it again and found it normal. Is there a possibility of developing diabetes in future? My step-sister too had developed diabetes in her 8th month of pregnancy. My maternal aunt had diabetes too. I don't know about my parents since I lost them when I was a child. Please advise.

A:Your condition is not unusual in people who have a strong family history of diabetes. You are likely to develop diabetes in the future if you do not take precautions. To prevent diabetes you need to eat a healthy - low fat, high fibre, low simple carbohydrate diet, and exercise regularly. You must avoid weight gain.