Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » I am allergic to antibiotics, what should I do?

I am allergic to antibiotics, what should I do?

Q: I am 34 years old. I am allergic to some antibiotics/medicines from the last 11 years. What is the treatment for this? Some of the medicines which I am allergic to are: ampicillin, amoxycillin, ZO - 200, meftalforte.

A:I am afraid there is no way to eliminate allergy to medicines on a permanent basis. Please do not take and inform your doctor that you are allergic to all penicillins (including ampicillin and amoxycillin) because people who are allergic to one member of a specific group of medicines such as ampicillin are generally allergic to all members of the same group. ZO-200 is a brand name that contains a medicine called ofloxacin. Hence may be allergic to all medicines that contain ofloxacin and related compounds such as ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, peffloxacin, sparfloxacin and gatifloxacin etc. All these medicines names generally end with xacin. Meftal Forte is again a brand name that contains mefenamic acid + paracetamol. You are in all likely hood allergic to mefenamic acid and not paracetamol. Hence you can take paracetamol (Crocin) for relief of pain and fever. Consuming drugs that have caused allergy in the past can lead to serious consequences because each subsequent reaction is likely to be more severe than previous ones.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com