Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to treat high astigmatism?

How to treat high astigmatism?

Q: Recently I got my new number which is a nominal increase. But after making new glasses I am seeing, especially letters, with double effect. I again went to the doctor & this time he checked my eyes with some electronic machine and he said that I have high cylinders. The specifications are as follows: Right eye-D.Sph: -3.0 D; Cyl: -0.75; Axis: 20. Left eye- D.Sph: -3.0 D.; Cyl: -1.5; Axis: 160. The new number, especially the cylinders, are Right eye- D.Sph: -3.0; D.Cyl: -4.0; Axis: 10. Left eye- D.Sph: -3.0 D.; Cyl: -3.5; Axis: 175. The problem is that the doctor said there is no point in giving high cylinders to patients. So now I am in a dilemma - should I go for new numbers or not? I feel the doctor is not confident. Please advise.

A:The patient seems to have high astigmatism (compound myopic astigmatism). The dictum in prescription is to usually prescribe the full cylinder power. However, patient comfort has to be kept in mind & some vision may be compromised. The patient should also be evaluated with cycloplegic refraction and to rule out Keratoconus (a corneal disease with progressive thinning & increase in cylinder power).


................... Advertisement ...................




Using 0 of 1024 Possible characters
Choose Topic

Latest stories

Swine Flu Kills 11 In Nagpur, 4 In Indore: Tips To Prevent Swine Flu

Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:00:13 IST
As many as 11 people died of swine flu in the Nagpur division in the past two days, taking the death toll 73 for the year, whereas four deaths were reported in Indore in a matter of past 24 hours.

Breathing Dirty Air May Lead To Kidney Failure: Study

Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:00:58 IST
Air pollution may increase the risk of chronic kidney disease, which can lead to the failure of the organ, a study has warned.

Sexual Touch At An Early Age May Lead To Early Puberty

Fri, 22 Sep 2017 15:00:02 IST
German researchers found that women who were touched on their genitals at a young age experience changes in their brain and that touch triggers puberty.

Moderate Physical Activity For A Healthy Heart, Longer Life

Fri, 22 Sep 2017 14:00:23 IST
A recent study concludes that 1 in every 12 global deaths could be prevented, if all of us adhered to at-least 30 minutes of exercise each day, or 2.5 hours in week. Read on to know moderate exercising could help prevent heart disease and help you live longer.

11 Infants Being Treated For The E-Coli Infection At PGIMER

Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:00:42 IST
The PGIMER (Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research) battles against the outbreak of E-Coli infection in its Neonatal ICU. 1 infants are getting treatment for this infection at the moment, hospital sources reveal.