Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to handle my alcoholic and diabetic brother?

How to handle my alcoholic and diabetic brother?

Q: My brother, aged 52 years, is an alcoholic and a diabetic. He has been to a rehabilitation centre for 100 days but this was of no use. Off late he beats up his wife, and two teenaged daughters everyday as soon as they return from their work/college and misbehaves by messing the house and breaking all that comes his way. Kindly guide us to what step should they take?

A:This is a complex issue that you are faced with. There is alcoholism with violence and these issues need to be treated urgently. You need to consult a team of professionals including a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Your brother will need to recognise his responsibility in this situation for anything to change. In the meantime, it may be useful for the family members to attend support groups run by Alcoholics-Anonymous. The family may benefit from this help and also understand the nature of alcoholism better. Finally, with the help of a mental health professional, assess the risk that his family is under due to the violence and see what may need to be done to keep the family safe. So please get immediate professional help on this issue.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com