Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How successful is levonorgestrel?

How successful is levonorgestrel?

Q: I am 20 years old and my normal menstrual cycle length is 29-32 days. This month I took post coital pill levonorgestrel 1.5 mg on the 19th day of menstruation. I missed my this months period. I did a pregnancy test which came negative. Is pregnancy possible or is it due to levonorgestrel? Please help.

A:You have given the date of taking pill but not the date of sexual intercourse. The success rate of levonorgestrel depends as to the time it was taken after unprotected sex: 95% if taken within 24 hours, 85% if taken 24-48 hours and 58% if taken after 48 up to 72 hours. You should repeat the pregnancy test at another laboratory to make sure that the result is correct. Temporary disturbance of bleeding pattern is quite common after taking the pill. It gets corrected in 1-2 cycles. Levonorgestrel use has many serious side effects such as ectopic pregnancy and hence should not be routinely used. It is an emergency measure and should be employed in emergency situation such as involuntary sex. In normal cases, condom by male sexual partner is much safer.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.