Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) be treated?

How can polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) be treated?

Q: I am a 36 years old female weighing 110 kg and 157 cm tall. I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and insulin resistance. I have been asked to exercise regularly and have Glyciphage 1 gm. I am also experiencing major hair fall. Do I need to see an endocrinologist or continue with glyciphage and wait for some time?

A:Going by the brief profile you have provided it is very likely that you have PCOD. I am sure other hormones analysis must have been done and are normal. PCOD means hyperandogenic state either clinically or biochemically. Hair fall is one evidence of clinical hyperandrogenic state which means you have more of male sex hormone in your blood. This disease is also associated with irregular periods. One of the basic defects is insulin resistance which means that you have higher levels of insulin to get its normal effect (inaction of insulin hormone therefore body produces more insulin). Treatment depends upon presentation. One of the options is giving insulin sensitizer (in your case this is glyciphage). In my opinion the most important treatment is to reduce weight either by diet and exercise or with medications as this is the main reason for insulin resistance and PCOD. My suggestion will be that either you meet a endocrinologist or send me the details of your symptoms and reports of other hormone levels like prolactin, TSH, LH, FSH and insulin levels in fasting state along with fasting blood glucose (FBG), Lipids, LFT so that I can advise you further.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com