Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can inferiority complex be treated?

How can inferiority complex be treated?

Q: I am a 22 years old male suffering from inferiority complex. I am a shy person and do not talk to anybody because of my shyness and fear. Also I do not have command over any language (English, Telugu, Marathi and Hindi). So I am unable to properly answer any question asked. Can my problem be treated with medicines? Should I consult a psychiatrist?

A:You have mentioned features that are suggestive of anxious-avoidant behaviour in your personality. Yes, psychiatrists can be of help. You need to go through a detailed psychiatric assessment. I also suggest a blood thyroid profile (a test preferably done on empty stomach in the morning). Management includes use of psychotherapy (including assertiveness training, confidence building, cognitive behaviour therapy, relaxation sessions) and if required certain medicines to ease out anxiety related symptoms and negative thoughts in mind. If medicines are taken under adequate psychiatric supervision and as per guidelines, they can be of use. You should avoid long term use of benzodiazepines.

Yoga, meditation, positive self talk, inculcating certain creative hobbies can add to your overall confidence. I must appreciate your effort to have acknowledged your problems and shared them with us. Remember, no human is perfect. We all have our share of strengths and weaknesses. Our true competition is with our own selves. Being able to understand our weaknesses, one can make efforts to overcome them.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com