Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can I protect my baby from oligohydramnios?

How can I protect my baby from oligohydramnios?

Q: I am 26 years old and 31 weeks pregnant. Last month an ultrasound was done. The doctors say that it is oligohydramnios and I suffer from leak-out of uterine fluid from uterus for the past 15 days. How can I protect my baby from oligohydramnios? How can the leakage of amniotic fluid be stopped? Will I be able to have a healthy baby?

A:I recommend hospitalisation for you as it is important to monitor you and your baby's condition frequently. You have to be on bed rest, preferably with foot-end elevated by at least 10"- which will help in preventing further leaks. You also need to have complete blood counts done and a cervical swab sent for culture followed by appropriate antibiotics. I would also recommend Injection betamethasone for enhancing baby's lung development. You will probably require delivery of baby- most likely by caesarean section- by 32 weeks, or earlier depending on your condition and the baby's condition. Please ensure you are under care of an experienced gynaecologist and have delivery in a tertiary hospital with good neonatal ICU facilities. It is unwise to transfer a baby from a small hospital to one that has neonatal ICU facility after birth.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com