Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Does the antidepressant Paxidep raise the cholesterol levels?

Does the antidepressant Paxidep raise the cholesterol levels?

Q: I am a 29 years old dentist. I have been on medication for depression since three years. I was prescribed Paxidep CR25, which I took for almost a year and half. It was later tapered to CR 12.5. I am still taking the drug. Recently, I did a routine blood test, which revealed high cholesterol (total cholesterol 220, LDL 150, HDL 43). I am worried if this is because of the drug. I am 5 feet 2 inches tall and weigh 59 kgs and have not had any previous history. Is it due to the drug? If so what should I do? I still don't feel confident to stop the drug, as the problems that drove me to depression still exist.

A:It is a matter of great regret that anti-depressants, due to aggressive, incentivised, bribery-linked promotion are being grossly over-used in India. Besides normal worry - which every one suffers once in a while - is casually diagnosed as the pathological Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and drug treatment started. In depression without first trying non-drug methods such as cognitive therapy or St. Johns wort not to mention age-old proven Yoga, potent medicines with serious side effects are prescribed. Interestingly some of the medicines such as Paxidep (paroxetine) are themselves the cause of worsening of depression! Hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol levels in the blood) is one of the known side effects of Paxidep. Other side effects include: liver damage, suicidal tendency. Nausea, somnolence, sweating, tremor, asthenia, dry mouth, insomnia, dizziness, bleeding, constipation, diarrhoea, impotence, decreased libido, abnormal ejaculation, dystonic reactions, seizures, blurred vision, yawning, akathesia, symptoms on discontinuation. Hyponatraemia. Severe agitation-type events including agitation, disinhibition, emotional lability, hostility, aggression and depersonalisation. Hallucinations. Serotonin syndrome. It would be in your own interest to try non-pharmacological therapies for depression.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.