Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can mumps during pregnancy affect the developing fetus?

Can mumps during pregnancy affect the developing fetus?

Q: I am 26 years old and in my 10th week of pregnancy. Between 5th-6th week of pregnancy, I had an attack of mumps. The only distinguishable sign was I had a swelling on the right cheek below the ear. Though I did not undergo any medical tests for confirmation, it was mumps, a physician & an ENT who examined said it was an case of mumps & both the doctors had prescribed the tablet Calpol. I am worried whether it would have any effect on the growing fetus? Will there be any kind of deformity? I am confused if I should go in for termination of pregnancy. Please advise.

A:Mumps is not known to cause any fetal abnormality per se. However, it would be advisable to have a good level 2 scan which is mandatory if you are exposed to any infection, more so after viral infections.