Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can an eye disorder: Lebers congenital amaurosis be treated?

Can an eye disorder: Lebers congenital amaurosis be treated?

Q: I am a father of 2 children. My son is suffering from a rare eye disorder known as Lebers congenital amaurosis. Wherever, I go for a consultation, there is no treatment for this. I am totally confused. I doubt my daughter also has this. I have admitted my son in the Blind School. It is very disheartening to see him. I had married within the family, and the doctors say it is because of that. Please guide me on what to do? Where can I go for treatment to restore his sight? In the darkness, if a candle is lit, he is able to see where the objects are, but in daylight he can only feel things.

A:At present no definitive treatment is available. Gene therapy is still at the investigative stage.