Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Are fetus heartbeats detected in a scan?

Are fetus heartbeats detected in a scan?

Q: My wife is five-week pregnant. She underwent a sonography a few days back. The doctors could not detect the heartbeat of the baby. The report showed there was no fetal pole / yolk. It also showed G1: 7.2 mm, G2: 9.1 mm, G3: 4.5 mm and GS: 6.9 mm. Now the doctor has asked us to come for a sonography after ten days. My wife and I are very scared. Kindly tell us what the above report indicates. Can fetus heartbeat be detected after six or seven weeks of pregnancy?

A:By a vaginal scan the heartbeat is visible by the sixth week and later by the transabdominal scan. Your wife will have to get a repeat scan done after two weeks to confirm whether or not the fetus is alive.