Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Am I on the right treatment for food allergy?

Am I on the right treatment for food allergy?

Q: I am 24 years old and a dentist by profession. Towards the end of last year, I had a chicken burger and since then I am suffering from urticaria. It is completely in control as long I am on medication (no hives erupt). Since then, I took the following medicines, as prescribed by my dermatologist: Rantac 150; Allegra 120; Hyrax 10; Omnacortil 10; Hetrazan 100; and Cetzine. Now two months back I ate some chicken dish and I think that the allergen was present in that too because I started getting pruritis. I have since then been taking the following tablets: Elina; Rantac 150; and Cetzine. My dermatologist has now prescribed histaglobulin injections. Should I follow his advice? I underwent a thyroid test recently and the results are normal and so is my CBC. The eosinophil count is also normal. Kindly advise.

A:It should be appreciated that anti-allergy, antihistamines such as Allegra (fexofenadine), Cetzine (cetirizine), Elina (mizolastine), Hyrax (hydroxyzine) are symptomatic, short term treatments for temporary relief. They are suppressive rather than curative agents. Also, concurrent administration of two anti-allergy products such as fexofenadine and hydroxyzine is not usually recommended. Use of steroids such as Omnacortril needs to be avoided unless there is no other effective drug. Hetrazan (DEC) is not indicated when the eosinophil count is normal. Unless a cause for allergy is found, it will be difficult to achieve cure. On two different occasions, hypersensitivity reactions occurred after consuming a chicken dish. It is probable that either you have developed allergy to a constituent of chicken or spices or oil used. One option is to attempt to trigger allergy by consuming bland chicken dish (without any spice or oil such as boiled or roasted with just salt). If you suffer from allergic reaction, then it is almost certain that a constituent of chicken is the cause. If you do not get an allergic reaction, then one needs to eliminate a spice by again consuming food from the same place where you had it the first time you got the infection. If you get a reaction, then it is rational to assume that spice/oil, etc. is responsible. A definitive diagnosis should lead to avoidance of allergen. Histaglobulin is neither the answer nor marketed any longer.

RELATED FAQ

................... Advertisement ...................

   

FAQ

ASK OUR EXPERTS

Using 0 of 1024 Possible characters
Choose Topic
-------------------------------- Advertisement -----------------------------------