Symptoms of menopause
Women become irritable and anxious around menopause. Depression may also be present.
- Irregular bleeding - Menstrual periods have three normal patterns of stopping: they may suddenly stop, they may come on time, but keep reducing in the quantity of flow till they finally stop or they may keep getting delayed till they finally stop.
- Hot flushes - This is the most prominent symptom. There is a sudden sensation of heat that spreads to various parts of the body, particularly the face. Flushing and sweating may occur.
- Vaginal thinning and dryness - Due to oestrogen withdrawal, the vagina becomes thinner and dry. This makes sexual intercourse painful.
- Mood changes - Women become irritable and anxious around menopause. There may be loss of memory and concentration and lack of energy. Depression may also be present.
- Sexuality - Several factors adversely effect the libido or sex drive. Besides the mechanical factor of vaginal dryness that makes intercourse painful, mood fluctuations and lack of energy all contribute to a poor sex drive.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.