Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of The Summer Tan
Tanning is the exposure to the suns ultraviolent (UV) radiation which causes the darkening of skin. UV radiations cause DNA damage and oxidative stress which induce melanin production and its redistribution thus leading to darker skin colour.
But even after applying sunscreen we still can't completely ignore tanning in the summer. Here are some natural ways you can reduce tanning-
- Lemon juice - As we are all aware lemon is a highly citrus fruit, the acid content in it acts as a skin lightening agent. You can either apply lemon directly on your tanned areas or squeeze it in water and then apply. This should be repeated 1-2 times a week over a period of 2-3 months to get the best effect.
- Honey and papaya - Papaya is rich in enzymes which help to reduce the tan and makes it more radiant. It also acts as a natural exfoliator. Whereas the honey helps to make the skin smoother and softer. Together they give your skin a healthy glow. To apply, mash the papaya and make a paste and add honey to it. Apply regularly to get best effects.
- Tomato and Yogurt - The yogurt acts as a natural soothing agent for the skin whereas the tomato which is again a citrus fruit, with its acidity helps to reduce tan and also works well for pigmentation and lightens spots. To apply take both ingredients in equal quantities and lather them on the affected areas.
- Coconut water and Sandalwood powder - Apart from its various other beneficial properties coconut water is one of the best solutions for tan removal, paired with sandalwood power with its medicinal properties has anti inflammatory properties which helps to cure sun burn . Mix the two together and apply it on the tanned areas of the body and face. Wash it after it dries.
- Milk and turmeric - The healing properties of turmeric and the exfoliating and soothing properties of milk work together to reduce sun tan and help cure sun burn. Add a pinch of turmeric to milk and apply on the affected areas.
- Oatmeal and Buttermilk - This is another effective way to reduce the tan as the buttermilk helps in smoothening of the skin and reduces the sun burn. The oatmeal works as an exfoliator. The combination of these two ingredients leaves the skin feeling radiant and soft.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.