How to control high blood pressure?
Regular physical activity can help lower blood pressure and keep weight under control.
- Eat healthy foods - try a diet, which emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy foods. Get plenty of potassium, which can help prevent and control high blood pressure. Eat less saturated fat and total fat. Limit the amount of sodium in the diet. Avoid coffee and colas.
- Maintain a healthy weight - if overweight, losing even 5 pounds can lower blood pressure.
- Increase physical activity - regular physical activity can help lower blood pressure and keep weight under control. Strive for at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day.
- Limit alcohol - even if you're healthy, alcohol can raise your blood pressure. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Don't smoke - tobacco injures blood vessel walls and speeds up the process of hardening of the arteries. So quit smoking.