Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why do my legs become numb while walking?

Why do my legs become numb while walking?

Q: I am a 56 years old diabetic woman who takes insulin pump 2.5 units per hour. I have arthritis too. My legs become numb while walking; I take 400 mgs of Nuerotin everyday. The doctor said there is nothing they can do for it. Please help.

A:Diabetic neuropathy occurs in approximately 50% of the individuals with long standing type 1 and type 2 Diabetes patients. The most common form of presentation is both lower limb neuropathy (sensory loss, tingling sensation, burning sensation, and pain). Any combination of these symptoms may develop as neuropathy progress. It is further perceived as a sensation of numbness, tingling, sharpness that begins in the feet and spreads up. Pain develops in some of these individuals, occasionally preceded by improvement in their blood sugar control. Pain (probably what you refer as arthritis pain in knee) is usually present at rest and worsens at night. As diabetic neuropathy progress, the pain subsides and eventually disappears and a sensory deficit (numbness) in the lower limb persists. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy is less than satisfactory. Improved Blood sugar control should be pursued and will improve nerve functions, but the symptoms may not necessarily improve. The main stay of treatment is supplements with vitamins B12, B6, Folate (neurotin in your case). Since pain may resolve over time, analgesics may be discontinued. Pain not responding to this management can be treated with Cap. Gabapentin 300 mg twice daily for a period of 2 weeks and or they may get referred to the pain clinic.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.