Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why do I have high immunoglobulin E (IgE) level?

Why do I have high immunoglobulin E (IgE) level?

Q: I am a 31 years old man having high immunoglobulin E (IgE) level in blood (high allergy). Slight swelling comes on my left side of face occasionally after eating food. I did my IgE blood test a month ago and it was 1000 IU/ml. Now I did this test again and it was 1093.2 IU/ml. These results are nearly 10 times the normal values. I am taking Ketasma 1 mg and Montech-LC daily. The doctor has advised me to continue it for 2 months. How long it will take to come down to the normal level? Can IgE value come down to normal without using medicines? Are there any side effects of the above-mentioned medicines? I had been treated for tuberculosis (TB) some 5 years back and took the medicines regularly for 6 months. My stool test showed no parasite infections, but Entamoeba histolytica was present, so I took Flagyl for seven days. The next stool test showed no Entamoeba histolytica but still IgE level is very high. Please advise.

A:High IgE in itself is not a cause for concern, if causes such as intestinal parasites have been excluded. People who are atopic, (i.e. who have a familial tendency to develop childhood eczema, hay fever or allergic asthma); generally have IgE levels above the normal or non-atopic range. Those with atopic eczema are particularly likely to have raised IgE levels. It is a marker of atopic status rather than something requiring correction.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.