Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why do I have high immunoglobulin E (IgE) level?

Why do I have high immunoglobulin E (IgE) level?

Q: I am a 31 years old man having high immunoglobulin E (IgE) level in blood (high allergy). Slight swelling comes on my left side of face occasionally after eating food. I did my IgE blood test a month ago and it was 1000 IU/ml. Now I did this test again and it was 1093.2 IU/ml. These results are nearly 10 times the normal values. I am taking Ketasma 1 mg and Montech-LC daily. The doctor has advised me to continue it for 2 months. How long it will take to come down to the normal level? Can IgE value come down to normal without using medicines? Are there any side effects of the above-mentioned medicines? I had been treated for tuberculosis (TB) some 5 years back and took the medicines regularly for 6 months. My stool test showed no parasite infections, but Entamoeba histolytica was present, so I took Flagyl for seven days. The next stool test showed no Entamoeba histolytica but still IgE level is very high. Please advise.

A:High IgE in itself is not a cause for concern, if causes such as intestinal parasites have been excluded. People who are atopic, (i.e. who have a familial tendency to develop childhood eczema, hay fever or allergic asthma); generally have IgE levels above the normal or non-atopic range. Those with atopic eczema are particularly likely to have raised IgE levels. It is a marker of atopic status rather than something requiring correction.

Meghalaya Gets Its First AMRIT Pharmacy

A first of its kind in Meghalaya, the Affordable Medicines and Retail Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) Pharmacy was inaugrated on Thursday by the State Health Minister Roshan Warjri, at a Civil Hospital in Shillong.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.