Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why do I get a burning sensation in my chest after taking food?

Why do I get a burning sensation in my chest after taking food?

Q: I am a 19 years old boy. Whenever I take food, I get a burning sensation in my easophagus. What may be the reason for this?

A:Your symptom of burning sensation in the chest after meals is due to acidic digestive juice from the stomach back flowing into the gullet causing the burning sensation, as the lining of the gullet is very sensitive to acid. There is a high pressure area where the gullet meets the stomach and this prevents the acid juice flowing back into the gullet after eating. The symptoms occurs when this pressure mechanism malfunctions. You need to consult a gastro-enterologist for an endoscopy and other relevant tests and get the right treatment for your acid reflux.