Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why am I suffering from recurrent episodes of typhoid?

Why am I suffering from recurrent episodes of typhoid?

Q: I am a 29 years old male, who frequently suffers from typhoid. In last few years, I usually got typhoid after every few months. I have taken vaccine but it was not effective. I am in doubt that my typhoid is not treated completely. Usually, the doctor gave medicine for 5 to 7 days after reviewing blood test report, which was positive. After that, I became normal with very mild pain in abdomen and fever around 99.2 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, I am in doubt that I might get typhoid again. Earlier during typhoid I experienced weakness but able to do almost every work. But this time, I even can't sit more than half an hour. After taking medicine for 14 days, I started walking and working. I guess that I should take typhoid medicine for about a month. My doctor always told me that I am normal and all right and I am experiencing problems due to weakness. I am unable to explain my problems to the doctor due to hesitation.

A:Generally the required treatment for typhoid is 10-14 days of appropriate antibiotics unless the infection is severe wherein longer treatment would be required. The typhoid vaccine is not 100% efficacious. It only protects against typhoid up to 75% in most data. Again, it has no protective role for paratyphoid.

Recurrence of typhoid would depend on either repeated exposure to contaminated food and water or if there is a person who is a typhoid carrier and harbours the bacteria in the body. If you eat outside food frequently, avoid salads and raw foods. Make sure the drinking water is hygienic. A blood culture / stool culture should be done. Contact any Government / private hospital in your locality where an experienced doctor can certainly help you.

Do not hesitate to voice your concerns / doubts, once he examines you so that he can explain the problem to you. It would be a good idea to make a list of your symptoms and reports / treatment taken so far on a piece of paper and carry that along. Also measure your temperature and keep a weight chart. Discuss this with the doctor concerned. Take a vitamin supplement for a few months to boost your immunity.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.