Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What should be done in case of paraplegia?

What should be done in case of paraplegia?

Q: My mother, 62 years old, fell from the stairs. She had compression fracture in D12 vertebra. She is now a paraplegic. There is complete loss of sensation below the waist. Steroidal drug (MP)was given immediately. Bowel and bladder movement are not in control. Should I go in for surgery, if yes then who are the best neurosurgeons near Gwalior (MP)?

A:Your best bet would be the department of neurosurgery at your local medical college and hospital or at the SMS Medical College and Hospital at Jaipur. Instant, complete paraplegia after a fracture of a vertebra is a sad event. The spinal cord is often irreparably damaged by such an injury. The neurosurgeon may tell you that recovery of power in the lower limbs, sensations below the waist and control over the flow of urine and emergence of faeces may not follow treatment. Treatment may principally aim at stabilising the spinal column so that you can proceed with her physiotherapy and rehabilitation.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com