What is the treatment for seizures?
Q: My 10 years old niece is suffering from seizures and today after the seizure she had memory loss but was fine later. She suffers from constant headaches too. We have done a brain scan and the doctor says she is fine. Please advise.
A:If your niece is still having fits, you need to consult your neurologist again. He may like to reassess the child.
- He will determine whether the child really has epilepsy
- What is the type of epilepsy?
- Is the medicine being used correct, and is the dose appropriate
- He may like to get the blood tests done to see if the level of medicine in the blood is not low: in that case he will increase the dose.
- He will ensure that medicines are being given at the right time and in the right dose.
- He will advise you that the child has to have proper sleep and meals. If the EEG shows photosensitivity, he will advise against TV watching, etc.
- If in spite of above the child still gets convulsions, a change in medicines may be required.