Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the treatment for idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis?

What is the treatment for idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis?

Q: I have unusual white spots on my arms and legs. I went to numerous doctors but no one knew what it was. However, a dermatologist did a biopsy and diagnosed me with a skin disease called idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis. I have had it for almost 4 years now and the white spots are still multiplying. The dermatologist told me to have UVB treatment but it is too hard for my schedule so I no longer went there. I have been exposed to the sun because I stay outside for sports but I wonder if that will do any good. But as I get more tanned, the white spots get more noticeable. I am very conscious about them because they are very evident. I don't know what to do about them. I want my confidence back. What is the treatment for these?

A:Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis can be managed through the following:

• Sun protection
  • Cryotherapy (liquid nitrogen therapy)
  • Dermabrasion
  • Tretinoin cream
  • Topical steroids
  • Masking camoflauge creams
I personally prefer no treatment except to counsel my patients in detail about the innocuous nature of this condition.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.