Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the reason for itching in my groin and the nearby area?

What is the reason for itching in my groin and the nearby area?

Q: Two months back I shifted from Delhi to Orissa. In this rainy season, I am having severe itching in my groin and nearby area. Now, I find that it is slowly spreading to other parts of the body too. When I scratch my private parts due to severe itching, there is a discharge from the testicles and nearby areas. There is some bad smell in the discharged liquid. I have already started using medicated soaps (which are prescribed for scabies) but there is no relief. Otherwise, I maintain good hygiene.

A:You most likely are suffering from Tinea (ringworm) infection. Ringworm - a fungal infection that develops in the top layer of your skin. It is characterised by an itchy, red circle of rash with healthy looking skin in the middle. Common tinea infections include: Jock itch (Tinea cruris): This form affects your genitals, inner thighs and buttocks. Most likely in your case. Athletes foot (Tinea pedis): This form affects the moist areas between your toes and sometimes on your foot itself. Ringworm of the scalp (Tinea capitis): This form is most common in children and involves red, itchy patches on the scalp, leaving bald patches. Tinea corporis (tinea occurring on the body) affects your arms, legs, trunk and face. Ringworm gets its name from the characteristic ring that can appear, but it has nothing to do with a worm under your skin. Although unsightly, ringworm usually isn't serious, except potentially for people with weak immune systems. The oozing of bad smelling discharge is due to your scratching the areas violently. Treatment

• Keep the affected areas clean and dry.
  • Antifungal creams and tablets
  • Antibiotic creams and tablets for the secondary infection (may be applicable in your case).
  • Anti-histamine tablets
  • Permethrin cream to be applied overnight (if you do also have scabies but remember I haven't seen you) to treat scabies (second diagnosis; chances are less).

• RELATED FAQ