Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the cure for recurrent boils?

What is the cure for recurrent boils?

Q: I had a boil on my right cheek a month ago, it got big and was very painful, I took antibiotics from my doctor so the boil leaked with pus and got healed in 8 to 10 days, I was even giving hot water with a cloth as told by doctor. I got another boil on the same side half an inch away from the older one about 20 days after. And now I am having one more below my nose on my upper lip, this is third in a row and it pains a lot & leaves a mark too. Please tell me what to do & why it is happening to me. If I have to do any tests please let me know.

A:Skin infections can develop into localised collections of pus. We refer to these as boils or furuncles. When the quantity of pus is more, this collection of pus is called an abscess. The abscess leaks bacteria into the blood, and more abscesses can develop in the body (wherever the blood flows). The name of the commonest bacteria causing this is Staphylococcus. Other bacteria may be involved, but rarely. You should get rid of the infection as soon as possible. Large abscesses should be drained surgically. Boils may be treated with antibiotics. The orally administered antibiotics that are useful against Staphylococcus are: Cloxacillin, Cefuroxime, Levofloxacin, Clarithromycin (or Erythromycin), and Clindamycin. Any one of these can be used, and I have made the list according to my order of preference. If the infection is not clearing quickly, you should consider also taking injectable treatment with Amikacin for about a week. The injectable drug is in addition to one of the oral medicines. You have not mentioned your age. If you are you a teenager, susceptible to pimples, then please consult a skin specialist, also. A blood sugar test may be required to rule out diabetes.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.