Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the cause for a surge in the resting pulse rate during pregnancy?

What is the cause for a surge in the resting pulse rate during pregnancy?

Q: I am 7 months pregnant. My routine checkups with the doctor show that I have a regular pulse and blood pressure. But at least twice a day I find that when I am resting my pulse goes up to 120 beats pre minute. I want to know why this happens, what steps should I take and does this adversely affect the health of my baby?

A:You must get your sleeping pulse rate noted over 1 week. If it is high you must get thyroid functions done to rule out hyperthyroidism. However, it is interesting to note that your pulse is regular as noted by the obstetrician. But what is the rate as noted by her? Apprehension can lead to a high pulse rate, but that occurs when you are visiting the doctor, and not when you are resting. It is worthwhile to be examined by a cardiologist for complete evaluation of your cardiovascular system.