Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is there any treatment to control bleeding while coughing?

Is there any treatment to control bleeding while coughing?

Q: My 37 years old wife has started bleeding when she was coughing. On conducting a digital x-ray and CT scan, she was diagnosed as Aspergilloma (Fungus ball). It seems there is a fungus deposit in a cavity formed in her lungs. The doctors feel that the only treatment is surgery but my wife is averse to surgery and wants treatment which is non-invasive. Is it possible?

A:Medication will not stop the risk of bleeding. Occasionally ablation angiography - passing a catheter along the blood vessels in the lungs can be successful but this is ultra specialised and not very widely available. I am afraid its surgery that is usually recommended, particularly when the bleeding, may be life threatening.