Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is there any other way to control heavy bleeding?

Is there any other way to control heavy bleeding?

Q: I am a 53 years old woman experiencing heavy bleeding. For this I have consulted a doctor and she advised me to remove the uterus. Please advise is there any other option that will do without operation?

A:There are several options for heavy bleeding besides hysterectomy. The treatment depends upon the cause of bleeding. The first step is in arriving at the diagnosis of the cause, by an ultrasound and maybe a D&C after the scan, along with testing of Haemoglobin levels. If there are fibroids or tumours, then the management is surgical. If there is an abnormality of the endometrium, then drugs like Progesterone, Mefenanic Acid, or Tranexmic (Tranostat) can be given for 3-6-9 months depending upon the biopsy report. A menstrual diary noting the response to the treatment needs to be kept.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com