Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is the presence of E. coli in urine a cause of worry?

Is the presence of E. coli in urine a cause of worry?

Q: I am a 52 years old male. My urine culture reported the presence of 1 lakh E. coli in my urine. The doctor prescribed me some antibiotic and E. coli count reduced. But now after two months, E. coli is more than 1 lakh. Why is it so? Do I need treatment for this?

A:Urine is an excellent culture medium for bacteria to grow. At room temperature, one bacterium multiplies to become 1 lakh bacteria in two hours time in urine. Bacteria may be in the bladder due to urine infection, or may have come to urine form skin contact (contamination) while passing urine. If urine is kept for two hours at room temperature after collection, as usually happens if urine is collected in morning at 7 am and transported to lab at 9 am, it will contain 1 lakh bacteria in the reports even in absence of urine infection. If bacteria have come from the bladder causing urine infection inside, the urine will contain lot of pus cells too called pyuria, as well as you will have difficult urinary voiding symptoms including pain while passing urine. It is important to have the triad of urine voiding symptoms, pyuria and more than 1 lakh bacteria per ml of urine to diagnose urine infection worthy of treating. Most of positive urine cultures in the market are, in fact, caused by contamination instead.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.