Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is the pain in the ear due to fluid accumulation?

Is the pain in the ear due to fluid accumulation?

Q: Two months back I felt pain in both my ears and blockage in the right ear. I stay in UK and was prescribed Sofradex ear drops by my doctor. A month later I travelled to India and came back. During my stay I had constant pain in both my ears. I also suffered a sore throat and some flu type symptoms. I consulted an ENT specialist in Delhi who told me that I had wax in my right ear and gave me Otorex ear drops. He asked me to come after two days. He then cleared the wax from both my ears. He also prescribed tab Azithral 500 for a few days. After completing the course I still had pain in both the ears. The doctor then gave me Otek-AC ear drops, which also didn't help me. I went to see another doctor who prescribed me some Antibiotics. I finished the course and returned to UK. My UK doctor again prescribed me Elthramycin 250 ml for a week and gave me Beconase nasal spray and advised me to do steam inhalation, which I did. I still felt the pain and blockage in my right ear. After a few days my doctor prescribed Amoxicillin 250 ml for a week and Otosporin ear drops. But I didn't feel better. I went to a hospital where the doctor checked my ears told me that I had fluid in my ear. She gave me Amoxicillin 500 ml, Sudafed 60 mg for a week and Sofradex ear drops. Am I taking the right medicines? What other steps should I take so to clear the fluid from the ear?

A:In a nutshell, after your long history, I tend to agree that you possibly have fluid behind your eardrums due to eustachean tube blockage. This can be confirmed by an audiogram and tympanogram, if not already done. I think you are on the correct medication, but if the above tests confirm the findings, and you are not improving, you might need a small surgical procedure to drain the fluid and put in a ventilating tube (Gromets).