Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is surgery recommended for ovarian cysts?

Is surgery recommended for ovarian cysts?

Q: My wife is suffering from endometriosis and under Gonablock for 8 months, with which it became clear. After 4 months of this she has been getting periods in the middle of the month apart from her regular period. A sonography found small ovarian cysts, which were treated with Duphaston for 5 months but in vain. Again, a transvaginal ultrasound showed endometrioma with 6 cm x 4 cm ovarian cyst. I would like to know if this is curable? Is surgery necessary for the same? Will a cyst recur after surgery? What kind of surgery is the best - cystectomy or hysterectomy? We have one child through c-section who is 10.5 years old. She is 37 years old. Is a gynaecologist competent enough to perform this surgery?

A:Endometriosis is ongoing till such time that ovaries are present. There are different medical therapies available and if the given drug doesn't work, a next drug is started. Unless there is a failure to all treatment modalities, one can avoid radical operative procedures. Even after cystectomy, recurrence can occur.