Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is getting periods at the age of 56 years normal?

Is getting periods at the age of 56 years normal?

Q: I am a 57 years old female. I am still getting my monthly periods regularly that is on every 25th day of the month. I underwent MRI test due to my lower back pain. The MRI report diagnosed the incidental unilocular cysts in the ovaries with suspicious fibroid measuring - 20 mm in the uterus. I have undergone scanning of the uterus, which diagnosed that everything is normal. Am I getting regular periods due to cyst? Should I get the cyst removed early or should I ignore it?

A:56 years is the upper limit of normal to attain menopause. Hence, I suggest you be examined by an experienced gynecologist to make sure everything is normal. Size of cyst is also important. It is difficult for me to comment on the cysts, without examining you personally.