Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to treat severe worm infestation?

How to treat severe worm infestation?

Q: I am suffering from chronic worm infestation of round, thread and hook worms. I have them for more than 20 years but it has been diagnosed now. My report shows protozoa in cystic form. I lost 5 kg. I was operated for a gynae problem and the doctor saw the eggs and worms in the large intestine. But they were not removed. I have not been given the right treatment and my condition is getting from bad to worse. I was asked to chew Zentel and after that, my hands, legs and head starting burning with splitting headaches, water trickling, pricking sensation in the whole body and severe itching of the abdomen and anus itch. My stool reports show ova ascaris fertilized and unfertilised. Mucus ++ and my urine shows proteins. Is it a kidney problem? My surgery for endometriosis was messed up and the doctor asked me to be careful of renal failure and intestinal obstruction.

A:The goals of treatment for worm infestation is to eradicate the infestation, reduce morbidity, and prevent complications. Make sure you are not pregnant prior to treatment. Albendazole (used for hookworm, pinworm, and roundworm) at a dose of 400 mg orally at night and repeated after 3 weeks. Treatment of Entamoeba histolytica is by Tinidazole 600 mg twice a day for 5 days. Prevention of amebiasis is accomplished by eradicating fecal contamination of food and water through improved sanitation, hygiene, and water treatment. Amebic cysts are not killed by soap or low concentrations of chlorine or iodine; therefore, when in an area of endemicity, water should be boiled and vegetables should be washed with a detergent soap and soaked in acetic acid or vinegar for 10-15 minutes before consumption.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.