Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to reduce pain caused by injury to the medial meniscus in the knee?

How to reduce pain caused by injury to the medial meniscus in the knee?

Q: I have developed a sport injury wherein I hurt the medial meniscus in my left knee. After some physiotherapy the pain reduced considerably. But, there is constant pain even after a period of one month. I hardly take pain killers. Please advise exercises to get rid of the pain?

A:For relief from pain you can take 10 sittings of TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)at a physiotherapy centre. Give rest to the knee by wearing a knee support. Along with this you should do Static and Strengthening exercises of the knee. Static: Sit in a long sitting position with back supported. Keep a small towel under the knee and try to press it down. Hold for a few seconds and relax. Repeat this 15/20 times twice a day. Strengthening exercises: Sit on a chair with legs hanging down and try to lift lower leg and make it straight. Hold for few seconds and bring the leg down. Start with 4/5 repetitions and gradually increase no to 10/15. A small wt can be tied say 1/2 kg at ankle and repeat as above. Straight leg raising in lying position will also be helpful.