How to manage acidity and constipation?
Q: For the last two years, I am on drugs like omeprazole and other antacids. I was suffering from acute GERD. A specialist doctor had done endoscopy and told me that I was having multiple small ulcerations in my stomach. Now I have stopped taking medicines on a regular basis and take them only on need basis. But I still feel the acidity after I give up the medicines. How to cure this once and for all? For the last 15 days I am feeling constipated. I took some laxative medicines and other laxative food but it does not help me completely until I took a heavy dose of sorbiline. Kindly write me how to over come my constipation. Is sorbiline safe for me?
A:For your stomach acidity, you should do the following:
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid pain medications called NSAID (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxyn etc).
- For pain the safest medication is paracetamol.
- If your doctor did a test for H. pylori and it was +ve you should take medicines for this infection.
- Take omeprazole on an as required basis.
- The best medication is a high fibre product such as Isabgol husk. Take a tablespoon full every evening with a large glass of water. Adjust the dose so that you get a satisfactory bowel movement.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Regular exercises such as a brisk walk for 1/2 hour daily.
- Avoid laxatives as in the long run they cause more harm than good.