Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How to best manage an injury on the finger?

How to best manage an injury on the finger?

Q: I am a 26 years old male. I suffered an injury on my right hand (ring finger) caused by a tennis ball, three weeks ago. I still have swelling and discomfort. I was told I suffered a swan-neck deformity. Please advise.

A:Swan-neck deformity indicates soft-tissue imbalance, tendon involvement, however it is unlikely after an acute injury. You should consult an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in hand surgery or a plastic surgeon. You may need to immobilise your finger for 3-4 weeks with a finger splint to decrease pain and inflammation. You may need an x-ray to rule out any avulsion or bony injury then you should start with gradual physical therapy or exercises immersing your hand in warm water and putting it through a range of motion would make it comfortable.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com