Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How should I treat testicular swelling after vasectomy?

How should I treat testicular swelling after vasectomy?

Q: I am a 33 years old male, had vasectomy done six month back. After the surgery, I feel that my testes are a bit heavier and swollen. I also feel pain in the testicular region. When I consulted a doctor, he told me that I have some infection and prescribed me some anti-biotic painkillers for two weeks. Though after the medication, the pain has subsided, the swelling is still there. What should I do?

A:There can be many causes of discomfort and swelling following vasectomy. Some men report a mild aching sensation in scrotum for a few hours to a few days after the procedure. Mild bleeding into the scrotum causing small tender swelling (haematoma) may occur lasting few weeks in less than 0.5%. A major bleed causing a large scrotal swelling may occur rarely, taking months to resolve. Infection causing redness at operated area and discharge from the healing site opening may also occur and responds to antibiotics. A small, potentially uncomfortable, bead-like structure made of leaked sperm that may develop at the site where the tube was cut and blocked is called sperm granuloma and is another potential cause of swelling and discomfort. A very rare complication of persisting dull ache in the testicle where the inflammation does not settle down is called post vasectomy pain syndrome and resolves on its own over a period of time. As you are gradually improving, I would suggest you to wait patiently and follow instructions of the attending Urologist.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com