Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How long will my chest take to heal after bypass surgery?

How long will my chest take to heal after bypass surgery?

Q: I am a 50 years old man who underwent cardiac bypass surgery. How is the chest bone closed after the surgery? How much time does it take to heal? When will the stitches be removed? Is coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) safe and how long will I survive? What is the duration of post-operative bed rest at home? When can I start my normal activities? Are there any side effects of the surgery?

A:

1. The chest bone is closed after bypass surgery using stainless steel wires.
  2. It takes a maximum of 4-6 weeks for the chest wound to heal after bypass surgery.
  3. These days the stitches are not removed as they are self absorbing.
  4. Now a days CABG operation is an absolutely safe procedure and it certainly increases the life span.
  5. A person can return to all his normal activities usually after six weeks of the operation,
  6. There are no side affects of bypass surgery except leaving scars on various parts of the body.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.