Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can vocal cord inflammation be treated?

How can vocal cord inflammation be treated?

Q: I am a 30 years old man having a throat ache for the last eight months, which started two months after I went overseas. The laryngoscopy showed that there is a moderate to severe vocal chord inflammation. Laryngoscopy also did not reveal any cyst or tumours. I was told to take acid blockers prilosec, however after taking it continuously for 6 months things did not change. I feel difficulty in talking because the pain starts from the throat and affects the ears. I am a singer and this pain has made my life miserable. I have observed that warm and humid climate makes me feel better. Please advise.

A:By the history: you seem to suffer from:

  1. GERD, which also seems to have been diagnosed earlier, as you were given anti-acid. Maybe you get an opinion of a gastroenterologist, who would do an upper GI endoscopy, possibly with pH monitoring in the oesophagus, and advise further.
  2. Vocal abuse: not using the vocal cords properly while talking. This could be further diagnosed by stroboscopy, and speech therapy.
  3. Steam inhalation, and frequent sips of water when you are talking would help.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com