Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can prostate enlargement be treated?

How can prostate enlargement be treated?

Q: I am a 48 years old man suffering from acute pain in the lower abdomen. On investigation, the sonography showed evidence of a calculus measuring 5.9 mm in proximal ureter and right ureteric calculus with upstream hydroureteronephrosis. Pre void urine volume was 260 cc, post void residual urine volume was 5 cc. The songraphy also showed enlarged prostate measuring 31 x 49 x 39 mm with 32 cc volume. Is there any medicine to cure the ureteric calculus and the enlarged prostate?

A:Prostate enlargement, in your case, is a diagnosis on imaging, and requires treatment only if associated with subjective or objective impediment to the flow of urine. There are medical and surgical means to deal with prostate enlargement and its impact on the body. Ureteric calculus presents as an emergency with colic, as in your case. Spontaneous passage of stone may occur depending on its location and its size. It is estimated that 90% of stones smaller than 5 mm may pass spontaneously from lower ureter. Their passage, and symptoms during passage, may be helped with alpha blockers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. A medical professional will take decision whether such drugs are safe to be prescribed in an individual. Dissolution of calcium oxalate stones (90% of Indian ureteric stones) does not occur with any medication. Severe pain requiring repeated injectables, fever with chills or non-passage in 3 to 4 weeks are standard indications for intervention.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com