Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can hydronephrosis with pain be treated?

How can hydronephrosis with pain be treated?

Q: I am a 38 years old woman and my ultrasound report states that my right kidney has hydronephrotic changes, the size of the right kidney is 9.1 x 5.3 cm and the left kidney is 9.2 x 5.2 cm, the haemogram report is normal except haematocrit is 35.6% and ESR is 26 mm/hr. My lipid profile is also normal; only LDL is 130 mg/dl, urine routine is also normal. I have pain in the right side of the abdomen and also have body swelling. Please advise.

A:Presence of hydronephrosis (distension and dilation of kidney) along with pain on the concerned side is a probable reflection of an obstruction at the urinary outlet tract. Obstruction causes back-pressure resulting in swelling/distension of the kidney, which if not relieved would damage the kidney besides the ongoing symptom of pain. You would need to see an urologist for further evaluation including further imaging studies of kidney (CAT scan) and possibly surgical intervention. Also, you seem to be anaemic (low haematocrit of 35%), which needs to be worked up by your physician. Additional tests recommended would include serum creatinine (to estimate underlying kidney function) and 24 hour urine collection to quantify amount of protein leaking, which if significant in amount might partly explain your body swelling.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com