Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can tinnitus be managed?

How can tinnitus be managed?

Q: I am a 42 years old male who underwent a kidney transplant eight months back. My wife is the donor. My creatinine level is 1.1, urea - 22, potassium - 3.5, sodium – 142 and haemoglobin (Hb) - 11.2. After transplantation, I got diabetes. For the last couple of months, I am hearing roller / rolling sound. I had an ENT check up and my ears are all right. My doctor who operated me told that it is due to some psychological problem. Please guide.

A:If clinically your ear , nose and throat examination is normal, you get your hearing assesment done. A test called pure tone audiometry is advisable. It checks hearing at different frequencies. Even a small difference in hearing threshold at certain frequencies can make you hear such sounds - called tinnitus. Management depends on the degree of hearing thresholds change. Diabetics and people with kidney dysfunction tend to have this problem more. You need to keep your serum electrolytes , kidney function and diabetes under control.