Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can fructose intolerance be treated?

How can fructose intolerance be treated?

Q: I am a 27 years old man having fructose intolerance. What are the symptoms of fructose and sucrose intolerance? How can it be treated? If I drink alcohol in large quantities, will it lead to some reactions? Do I need to follow a diet for diabetics? Will it cause irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?

A:Fructose intolerance is a hereditary disorder, in which affected persons develop hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and severe abdominal symptoms after taking foods containing fructose and cognate sugars. Continued ingestion of noxious sugars leads to hepatic and renal injury and growth retardation. The severity of clinical expression correlates well with the age, culture, and eating habits of affected subjects. It is absolutely different from glucose intolerance, where blood sugar is high. Excess alcohol intake may cause low sugar in a diabetic if drugs are taken and food is not taken properly. It does not cause IBS.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com