Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can chronic pancreatitis be treated?

How can chronic pancreatitis be treated?

Q: I am a 38 years old male suffering from chronic pancreatitis and have been hospitalised several times due to this. My magnetic resonance cholangio-pancreatography (MRCP) findings report that my intrahepatic biliary radicles are not dilated, the right and left hepatic duct confluence is normal. The extrahepatic bile duct is prominent (7.7 mm) with smooth narrowing of distal intrapancreatic duct and no intraductal calculus has been seen. Further, there is irregular narrowing of the pancreatic duct in the neck, body & tail region and it is dilated measuring 7 mm in diameter. The pancreas in the tail region is diffusely attenuated. The side branches are dilated. As per the report, there is a small hypointense filling defect in the duct and the accessory pancreatic duct is prominent. There are no large pancreatic/ peripancreatic collections seen and my gall bladder is normal. How can chronic pancreatitis be treated?

A:The most common cause of chronic pancreatitis is alcohol consumption. You did not mention whether you were using alcohol and whether you have stopped. I suggest the following steps. 1. Stop alcohol completely 2. Use pancreatic enzyme supplements along with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) 3. If there is no benefit in pain, the next step is to consider endoscopic dilatation of the pancreatic stricture, if possible. 4. If pain persists despite endoscopic dilatation, resection of the pancreas should be discussed. 5. If pancreatic resection is not feasible, consider nerve block procedures.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.