Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can an infection in the testicle be treated?

How can an infection in the testicle be treated?

Q: I am a 21 years old boy and my right testicle is normal but due to infection 3 months back the size of my left testicle has reduced and it has become hard like a nut. I can masturbate normally and have no pain in the testis. I get proper erections too. Please advise.

A:It is unlikely to have smaller testis after infection (called epididymo-orchitis). Usually, the organ remains swollen for many weeks to months without pain due to some fluid collection around the testis (called hydrocele). There are some infections, which may result in testicular atrophy with resulting smaller testis, like mumps orchitis. My concern is regarding some vascular events called torsion, which result in pain and swelling like infections, with resultant atrophy and smaller organ at the end of the episode as you have described. Although nothing can be done to the damaged organ, the opposite paired organ too is at risk of torsion in future with such history, and needs to be surgically fixed to avoid such catastrophe. You must consult a urologist for further examination and clarifications.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com