Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Green colour stools

Green colour stools

Q: My baby is sixty days old and is only on breast milk. For the past few days she has been having a green colour potty. The doctor says that it could be due to sensitivity to breast milk and has suggested that a test be conducted to determine the ph content in her stools. If the ph content is more than 1, the doctor suggests that she be put on the bottle for a while. I am not too happy with this suggestion as I breast fed my first baby for almost a year. Kindly advise.

A:It is extremely unusual to have a sensitivity to breast milk. Lactose intolerance (that is, allergy to the type of sugar in the milk) is a pssibility and may need to be treated by using a lactose free formula. However, do not be in a hurry to stop breast milk, unless it is absolutely clear that the breast milk is responsible for the problem.