Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » For how long is the tetanus vaccine effective?

For how long is the tetanus vaccine effective?

Q: I had a tetanus vaccine in the middle of last year and then one this year. Today I got a small scratch on my leg from an iron channel which was rusted and had a lot of dust while being dug out from our store room. The scratch was small approx. 3 inch. It was not deep but I used my old spice after shave which at that time gave a pinching pain but then pain subsided immediately. Can you please confirm that should I get a dose of tetanus put or the vaccine given this year is good enough to give me protection against tetanus?

A:The protection from a tetanus toxoid vaccine remains for 5 years. Thus there is no need to repeat the vaccine for any cuts or injury, if you already have received the vaccine in the past five years.