Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Does Cellcept causes infertility after kidney transplant?

Does Cellcept causes infertility after kidney transplant?

Q: I am 23 years old and have had a kidney transplant for a year now and the nephrologists are about to switch my drugs from Cellcept to Imuran so that I can get pregnant. I would like to know if Cellcept causes infertility and if it causes problems in conceiving. I have missed my period for three days now and show two negative tests for being pregnant. I have all the signs and symptoms of being pregnant and I would like to know if my drugs could give a false pregnancy test?

A:The current guidelines do not allow pregnancy with Cellcept as its effects on the fetus are not known. Cellcept does not cause infertility. Successful pregnancies have taken place in large numbers in patients with successful kidney transplants or cyclosporin/Tacrolimus, azathioprine and prednisolone. Pregnancy is not recommended with MMF (Cellcept) and sirolimus though few successful pregnancies have occurred & reported with both drugs. I would also recommend you to stop Cellcept and switch to imuran as suggested by your nephrologist.

Meghalaya Gets Its First AMRIT Pharmacy

A first of its kind in Meghalaya, the Affordable Medicines and Retail Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) Pharmacy was inaugrated on Thursday by the State Health Minister Roshan Warjri, at a Civil Hospital in Shillong.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.