Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Does alcohol affect SGPT and SGOT levels?

Does alcohol affect SGPT and SGOT levels?

Q: I am a 31 years old male weighing 93 kg. I was diagnosed with abdominal tuberculosis 15 months back. After taking medicines for a year, I have recovered from tuberculosis. But for the last three months, my SGPT & SGOT level started fluctuating. I smoke also. My doctor has suggested me to take Ursodeoxycholic (500 mg) for three months. I took it for a month, after that my SGPT level came to normal. So, I stopped taking prescribed medication, but now my SGPT and SGOT level has been increasing. How can it be treated? Moreover, two years back, I used to be a regular drinker, drinking 2-3 pegs daily. My HCV test came negative.

A:I note that you have been treated for abdominal tuberculosis recently. Now your concern is that you have raised SGOT & SGPT. As your abdominal tuberculosis treatment has been stopped a year back, it is unlikely that you have drug-induced hepatotoxicity. As you consume alcohol regularly, it is possible that it may be the cause of your deranged LFT. In addition, I note that you are overweight, which can also affect your liver. You need a thorough evaluation to find out the cause of your liver problem including an ultrasound, viral hepatitis markers, autoimmune markers, etc. You must stop alcohol, and can continue taking UDCA meanwhile.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.